Monday, January 13, 2014

Mabel 2000--2014.


On Mother's Day weekend of 2006, Mabel, a male basset named Issac, and their 5 puppies were placed in a dumpster in Indiana. All five puppies contracted Parvo because they were not vaccinated, and Mabel and the male had their own set of problems like ear mites. Guardian Angel Basset Rescue  rescued the entire family and, after spending around $10,000, nursed the family back to health, except little pup Sarah, who did not survive Parvo. Little Isabel's story is a heart-warmer, too (though they have the year wrong in this post--it was 2006, not 2007). GABR even gave Mabel a tummy tuck so her nursing tummy would no longer drag on the ground.

All of Mabel's puppies were adopted quickly, along with the male, and Mabel--who the Rescue had named Rosalyn--was the last to be adopted. GABR said that Mabel took such good care of her pups while abandoned, which doesn't surprise me because, even though I thought I was rescuing her, it turns out, she rescued me right back. 

Four months later, GABR crowned Mabel "Queen of the Basset Waddle"; the male was crowned King and Mabel was reunited with her pups, or "the royal family."  
Mabel at home
Issac

"Rosalyn" at the Rescue

The Royal Family


      In 2009, Mabel won the "Smartest Basset" contest at Wisconsin's Basset Buddies Picnic.
It was no surprise to me that she won--after spending a year in training with her, I came to know her as one of the smartest creatures I'd ever met. To get her adopted-sister, Pennymarshall (who was adopted through Basset Buddies),  off whatever spot she wanted to sit on, Mabel would simply grab one of Pennymarshall's toys, lure her to it, and then Mabel would drop the toy and take the spot. She also did this to me--several times. And I always fell for it.











Mabel had an old soul with whom most folks fell in love~ even people who didn't love dogs loved Mabel. Mabel's roommate and good friend, Shereen, wrote a song about Mabel and a couple years later, another friend, Emma, covered the song and recorded it. Listen here: Mabel's Song 

Mabel absolutely loved children, other animals, and all people. Nothing excited her more than a knock on the door and pets from whoever was on the other side. She was especially attached to her human-niece, Kayleigh.































Mabel loved the outdoors, walking, camping, going to the dog park, and just hanging out in the yard with her sisters, Pennymarshall and Bella.  










Door County Cabin Trip 2010







Door County Cabin 2011
Dog Park 2013
Dog Park 2013
Camping 2008








Camping Fall 2013
Ready for a winter hike









Mabel was also fond of her kitty-sister, Mudpuddle, and they became the best of friends. Though, in some ways, it seemed Mabel adopted kitten-Mudpuddle as her own baby.


Mabel was diagnosed with Cushing Syndrome in 2010. At the time, I thought it was a death-sentence, for sure. However, our dedicated veterinarian, Dr. Cybela at Tuckaway Animal Clinic (he has since left the clinic), ensured that we took careful measures treating her: he educated me about what the syndrome was and prepared me for crises that could occur while taking Lysodren

Once on the medication and after a few tests to ensure her blood levels were normal, it seemed that Mabel returned to a mostly normal life for the last 3 years. Her decline came somewhat quickly, as her arthritis caught up with her and a tumor that she had had on her tail since I got her, started to rupture and grow.  In the last couple of weeks of her life, Mabel was in pain, but she tried not to complain. It became increasingly clear to me, however, that she was not getting better and was suffering. 

I know that my description of her life will never capture the enormity that it played in mine. As I reflect on our life together, I realize that she has been the most important, most faithful, dedicated friend I could ever ask for. Caring for her was never a hassle or an inconvenience. She was my friend. She was my best friend. She was my soul mate.
 She will forever be in my heart. 


 Mabel has forever changed me. She taught me how to be a better human.


No comments:

Post a Comment